1x01 | 2x12
do you all fucking realize how much this hurt me
Submitted by justplainsomething
I love the idea of Dick falling in love with Babs’ intelligence.
“Your hair is so pretty,” M’gann said pushing a small, fine toothed comb through Batgirl’s lovely red locks. The hair was thick but, very soft, which made M’gann think fondly of marshmallows and how she really should buy some because Wally loved them if the speed with which they’d previously disappeared was any indication.
“Thanks but, it’s just hair,” Batgirl replied but, M’gann could feel the way that her cheeks moved slightly in a smile when she went to pull the loose strands to the base of her neck. “Besides, I’m sure you could come up with hair way pretty than mine if you put your mind to it.” Batgirl had made it no secret that she adored M’gann’s ability to shape-shift. She had explained that she thought her other powers were pretty interesting as well but, that the shape shifting had really stood out to her because of the convince that it would allow. Like say, sneaking home in the middle of the night after a mission and not having to worry about a certain police commissioner catching her in costume because she could already be in her pajamas as soon as she entered through the window.
“Trust me, having these powers isn’t all that it’s cracked up to be,” M’gann said. Noticing that her friend’s scalp was a bit dry, she levitated a jar of Shea Butter off the table, used her powers to unscrew the cap, and dipped her fingers into the moist cream. The task was so mundane and she so accustomed to using her powers to complete it that she barely noticed the heavy contrast between her actions and her words.
“I can see how these powers would tend to get on your nerves from time to time,” Batgirl said sarcastically causing M’gann to laugh. Batgirl shuddered a bit beneath her as she felt the cold cream against her skin but, quickly stilled, relaxing into the touch.
“Just trust me on this. Hey, do you want to watch a movie?” She asked trying to change the subject. Though she trusted Batgirl and was growing fonder of her by the day,
M’gann was not yet sure if she trusted her that much just yet.
Sensing her friends discomfort and wanting to lighten the mood a little, Batgirl tilted her head back with a slight grin and said, “Anything but, the Lion King, Robin makes me watch enough of that as it is.” This time when M’gann went to do the mundane task of putting in the DVD, she did not use her powers nor did Batgirl comment.
Shoulder injuries were probably the most irritating thing in the entire word, Batgirl decided. She lay resting on the couch in the living room, her arm propped up on a pillow. She had been slammed against a wall during the course of a mission the weak prior but, had thought nothing of it, believing a good soak in the bathtub to be just what the doctor had ordered….until she’d gone to school armed with a backpack that had never seemed quite so heavy. Now she was paying for her mistake.
“You’re such a girl,” Robin said smugly pushing her legs off of the couch. He was doing it just to annoy her, she thought, because really, there was plenty of room on the other side of the couch for him to sit on. “You know what they say; if you can’t feel the aster, you should run faster so that you don’t get slammed into the plaster,” he laughed at his own joke and Batgirl wished desperately for the strength to reach up and smack that smug grin right off of his face.
“I hate you,” she hissed, miserable. Robin blew her a kiss.
“What are you doing to poor Batgirl now?” Zatanna asked making her way into the living room with a bowl of popcorn.
“Torture!” The both chorused Batgirl sounding pained and Robin chipper. Zatanna laughed. She placed the bowl on the coffe table then kneeled beside Batgirl’s head.
“What seems to be the problem?”
“She’s fine. Weren’t we going to watch a movie,” Robin inquired from his perch on the couch.
“My shoulder hurts,” Batgirl said, and winced for dramatic effect.
Zatanna gave a Batgirl a concerned look before turning to Robin. “Could you go get her some ice?”
“But, the movie—,” Robin stopped speaking abruptly, which meant Zatanna had given him a glare. He rose from the couch, spared Batgirl a glare of his own, and left presumably to get ice from the kitchen.
“That boy,” Zatanna said shaking her head. Gently, she lifted Batgirl’s upper torso, sat down, and repositioned the red-haired vigilante so that she now rested with her upper body on the magician’s lap.
“What are you doing?” Batgirl asked. When Zatanna began rolling down the material of her sleeve that rested over her shoulder she added, “I walk a straight path.”
Zatanna snorted. “Don’t flatter yourself. I wanna try to heal you with my powers.”
“I knew that,” Barbara said shutting her eyes tightly as Zatanna began muttering an incantaion. She trusted Zatanna not to turn her into a whale, a llama, or something equally as disastrous but, still…
Oh. Batgirl rotated her shoulder a bit and found the aching pain that had once plagued her to have perished. “Thanks,” she said.
“All right,I got the ice,” Robin paused behind the couch. A hot blush painted his cheeks at the sight of his crush and oldest friend in such an intimate position. His eyes bounced from Batgirl to Zatanna and back again before he silently reclaimed his seat on the couch.
What if Dick and Babs dated within the five year gap and broke up? They may not get any moments on the show that suggest anything more than friendship.
I just made myself sad.
Next to you by Jordan Sparks.
Someone should do a DickBabs video to this song; I feel like it depicts their relationship well. I
t also does a good job of showing how frusturated I am as a fan of them.
1) She didn’t have any friends when she was younger. She was too stuck up, too much of a know-it-all, a goody two shoes, and probably not even a natural red head, besides if she was she had no soul and who’d want to hang out with her then?
2) After her mother, Thelma died in a car accident, her father became an alcoholic. When she first moved in with her uncle’s family, things were tense. At the time, she wasn’t aware that James Gordon was her biological father; she only knew that her parents had never liked to talk about him much.
He and his wife, Barbara Elieen Kean Gordon (whom Barbara was named after as an apology) both knew. Barbara’s presence in the house made things awkward because it served as a reminder that Jim had only stayed with her because she’d been pregnant with his son as evidenced by his affair with coworker Sarah Essen.
3) She is good friends with Wally now but, she didn’t like him at first. They met Dick around the same time, though under different circumstances and are his too closest friends. Dick introduced them to each other at Bruce’s New Years party (the first one he would be attending as well). At the stroke of midnight, Wally attempted to kiss Barbara and she promptly kicked him in his crotch. He may have liked to move fast but, she didn’t.
4) She had a crush on Roy when they first met (similar to Cassie’s crush on Conner). Every time she spoke to him, her voice would take on an annoying squeak and she would blurt out the weirdest facts off the top of her head. “Odontophbia is the fear of teeth.” “The 57 on Heinz ketchup bottle represents the number of varieties of pickles the company once had.” “The elephant is the only animal with four knees.”
5) Eventually, with Bette’s help, she got the courage to ask Roy out on a date. It was a disaster because she contiguously spilled things on him and half way through he was called away on a mission. At the time, Barbara didn’t realize that he was a superhero so, when three hours pasted and he didn’t return from the bathroom she assumed he’d ditched her. The time she saw him, having found her backbone, she blew up at him. When she calmed down, he gave an excuse about Ollie being in a car accident (which wasn’t really a lie because a car had during the battle and Ollie had been near it). Barbara brought the excuse only because she’d seen on the news that Oliver Queen was seen sporting crutches.
6) She joins the gymnastics team in high school. It’s the only club she’s really consistent with since Bette thinks that they should have variety on their transcripts. They briefly join the yearbook committee in freshmen year until they realize that they are getting all of the grunt work. Then, they join the photography club and get kicked out because Bette spends all of her time taking pictures of Robin. (Barbara doesn’t tell Bette that it’s Dick because it’s not her place to.) In sophomore year, they join the school newspaper and the school dance planning committee.
In junior year, Bette and Dick convince Barbara to run for student council president. Bette places herself in charge of the designs the campaign posters. Barbara wins the presidency but, finds it difficult to balance her leadership duties with her nightly activities. She takes a short break from being Batgirl She doesn’t run for president the next year but, instead joins the drama club, which is good because Bruce has finally deemed her old enough for independent incognito missions and her acting skills could use some work since she’s been on hiatus for so long.
7) Bruce brought Dick and Barbara matching convertibles after they graduated from high school. The only difference was the color; Dick got a red one and Barbara got a blue one. It was an inside joke between Bruce and Alfred. The only color in Dick’s Nightwing costume was blue and they knew for a fact that Barbara was his favorite red head. This way they would undoubtedly think of each other whenever they saw their cars and hopefully remember that Bruce wanted her to be his daughter in law some day.
8) Barbara is aware that Jaime had a crush on her when he first joined the team, she heard him arguing about it with the Scarab (even though at the time she thought he was schizophrenic). She finds that flattering but, is more amused by how grossed out and defensive Tim was. He’s the little brother she never had.
9) She thinks of Cassie as the little sister that she never had, which is why she discourages her from going after Superboy. Conner is no where near being over Megan. Barbara understands this and she doesn’t want Cassie to get her feelings hurt.
10) Her father, Roger is still in and out of rehab. Barbara does not visit him often; she stopped living with him when she was nine and doesn’t remember him well. Looking at him now is like looking at a stranger. Whenever, she leaves she wonders what life would have been like had she been born before her brother, when she catches herself, she feels horrible.
Now then, I’m off to procrastinate finishing my DickBabs fanfiction.